Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

Local News Briefs

Tony the Tiger Voice Actor Dies

Lee Marshall, one of the actors who supplied the booming voice of Tony the Tiger in commercials, has died. He was 64.

His son, Jason VanBorssum, tells the Los Angeles Times ( ) Marshall died of esophageal cancer on April 26 at a Santa Monica hospital.

Marshall began voicing the Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes mascot in 1999, filling in for the original actor, Thurl Ravenscroft.

Marshall got his first full-time radio job at the age of 14 in Phoenix. He had a prematurely deep voice and lied about his age. His career included radio newsman, rock ‘n’ roll disc jockey, sports broadcaster and wrestling ring interviewer.

One Hospitalized, Another Arrested in Santa Monica Rollover

One person was hospitalized with major injuries following a rollover accident on the Santa Monica (10) Freeway late Tuesday evening, and the woman who was driving the vehicle in which the victim was traveling is facing DUI charges, authorities said.

The female passenger was ejected from the vehicle as it ran up an embankment along the westbound 10 just east of Lincoln Boulevard and overturned around 10:10 p.m. on May 6, California Highway Patrol (CHP) Officer Monica Posada said.

The woman behind the wheel was speeding and driving erratically and lost control when she swerved to avoid another vehicle, Posada said. The driver was arrested, and the passenger hospitalized.

A SigAlert was declared and two westbound lanes were closed for 70 minutes after the collision.

Suspicious Pacific Palisades Brush Fire

A suspicious fire that consumed about five acres of brush in Pacific Palisades, coming dangerously close to homes at one point, was under control, fire officials said.

The blaze dubbed the Pali Fire was reported about 12:30 p.m. Sunday in steep canyons near the 17000 block of Avenida de Santa Ynez, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Just before 5 p.m., about 200 firefighters involved in the battle were able to knock down the flames.

A matchbox was found near the burn area. Arson investigators were working to determine the cause of the blaze.

No injuries were immediately reported, and no structures were damaged, fire officials said.

Three helicopters and firefighters from various agencies were sent to battle the slow-spreading flames. Fire officials initially reported that homes were in danger, but by 2:30 p.m. firefighters reported there were no structures threatened.


Reader Comments(0)