Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

UFO Crashes Into Arctic Sea; Causes Mysterious Arctic Pinging, Siberian Snow Eggs

UFO operating as a submersible causes seemingly unconnected X-Files on 2 sides of the Arctic

The villagers of Igloolik, Nunavut were asleep when a streak quickly crossed the sky and struck the ice with a bang. 200 villagers came out their doors, but there was nothing to see except black water steaming and bubbling through a round, 10 meter hole in the ice. It was a night late in November 2010 and no one wanted to linger long outside in the middle of a dark night. The truth of what had happened was almost unimaginable.

A UFO crashed through the Arctic ice 6 years ago, and has been operating in the Arctic sea ever since. This according to newly released documents made available from State Dept. e mails, by way of the Russian FSB's Wikileaks division.

Hunters in a remote town in the Canadian Arctic reported a mysterious sound coming from the sea floor. The Canadian navy, such as it is, has promised to investigate the hum, whose origin is uncertain. Hunters such as Paul Quassa, a member of the legislative assembly, says whatever the cause, it's frightening marine mammals and other animals.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Actic Sea, mysterious snowballs are starting to appear on beaches. Even older residents have never seen the phenomenon before, and while there is a scientific explanation, we wonder if both mysteries could in fact, have the same otherworldly cause.

The "pinging" sound, sometimes also described as a "hum" or "beep," has been heard in Fury and Hecla Strait, about 90 miles northwest of the hamlet of Igloolik, last summer.

"That's one of the major hunting areas in the summer and winter because it's a polynya," an area of open water surrounded by ice that's abundant with sea mammals, he said. "And this time around, this summer, there were hardly any. And this became a suspicious thing."

The noise is "emanating from the sea floor," according to remarks Quassa made last month in the Nunavut legislature.

As for the Snowsaurus Eggs: According to news reports, the snowballs first formed in late October, after water in the Gulf of Ob rose and covered the beach in ice. Just as kids roll snowballs along a snow-covered surface to create bigger spherical creations, ice on the beach rolled along the sand as the tides receded, creating the frozen orbs.

"It's a rare natural phenomenon," Sergey Lisenkov, a spokesperson for the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI), told the Siberian Times. "As a rule, grease ice forms first, slush. And then a combination of the action of the wind, the outlines of the coastline, and the temperature may lead to the formation of such balls."

Area residents said the phenomenon was a surprise, and had not happened previously. "Even old-timers say they see this phenomenon for the first time," Valery Akulov, from the village administration, told the Siberian Times.

A similar phenomenon has occurred along Lake Michigan, where boulder-size ice balls can form in winter months. When chunks of the ice sheets that cover parts of the lake in winter break off, they churn in the waves and become ice spheres.

Snow rollers are another form of naturally occurring snowballs that can invade during winter months. Snow rollers occur only in the right conditions: a combination of light, sticky snow; strong (but not too strong) winds; and cold temperatures, according to the National Weather Service. When snow-covered landscapes are blasted by blustery winds, the snow can be sculpted into doughnuts, hollow tubes and snowballs.

This is not the first time that the Canadian Navy has been forced to investigate UFO phenomena. The Shag Harbour UFO incident was the reported impact of an unknown large object into waters near Shag Harbour, a tiny fishing village in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia on October 4, 1967. The reports were investigated by various civilian (Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Canadian Coast Guard) and military (Royal Canadian Navy and Royal Canadian Air Force) agencies of the Government of Canada and the U.S. Condon Committee.

On the night of October 4, 1967, at about 11:20 p.m. Atlantic Daylight Time, it was reported that something had crashed into the waters of Shag Harbour. At least eleven people saw a low-flying lit object head towards the harbour. Multiple witnesses reported hearing a whistling sound "like a bomb," then a "whoosh," and finally a loud bang. The object was never officially identified, and was therefore referred to as an unidentified flying object (UFO) in Government of Canada documents. The Canadian military became involved in a subsequent rescue/recovery effort. The initial report was made by local resident Laurie Wickens and four of his friends. Driving through Shag Harbour, on Highway 3, they spotted a large object descending into the waters off the harbour.

Once at a better vantage point, Wickens and his friends saw an object floating 1000 feet offshore in the waters of Shag Harbour. Wickens contacted the RCMP detachment in Barrington Passage and reported he had seen a large airplane or small airliner crash into the waters off Shag Harbour.

Assuming an aircraft had crashed, within about 15 minutes, 10 RCMP officers arrived at the scene. But before any attempt at rescue could be made, the object started to sink and disappeared from view.

But by the next morning, the RCMP had determined that no aircraft were missing. The cause of the incident, was never solved.


Reader Comments(1)

NeedToKnow writes:

In 1947 nine silver disks were spotted over Mount Rainier. What if one of them had crashed? What could possibly be its purpose?