Google says its applications will still function on Huawei devices after US order
Huawei relies on US technology to manufacture all its devices, including mobile phones, tablets and networking devices, and US chipmakers Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom have told employees they will not supply chips to Huawei
May 25, 2019
Google services will continue to function on Huawei devices, the US company said Monday after the Trump administration imposed restrictions on doing business with the Chinese telecom giant.
"We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device," Google's Android operating system said in a statement.
Reports emerged over the weekend that Google and other US corporations are cutting off Huawei as a result of new US government measures against the Chinese company.
Huawei relies on US technology to manufacture all its devices, including mobile phones, tablets and networking devices, and US chipmakers Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom have told employees they will not supply chips to Huawei until further notice, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
Xilinx said in a statement emailed to DPA that the company is aware of the order and is cooperating.
"We have no additional information to share at this time," the Xilinx spokesperson said. Intel declined to comment on the Bloomberg report, while Qualcomm and Broadcom didn't respond to a request for comment.
German chip maker Infineon said it was halting the supply of products made in the United States to Huawei, but denied reports indicating that Infineon had stopped all chip supplies to the Chinese company.
The company's current position is that most of the products that Huawei sourced from Infineon are not subject to US export regulations, and those supplies will continue, an Infineon spokesman at company headquarters near Munich said.
The Commerce Department announced last week that it had placed Huawei and its dozens of affiliates on a list of firms deemed a risk to national security. The move came after US President Donald Trump on Wednesday declared a national emergency aimed at protecting US communication networks.
The declaration gave the Commerce Department the power to stop US companies from doing business with certain foreign suppliers. It was seen as a way to prevent Huawei from buying American parts and technologies without seeking approval from Washington.
The ban is a setback to China's efforts to secure a leading role in 5G network technology, which is expected to be a critical driver in economic development.
It also came as negotiations on a trade agreement between Washington and Beijing suffer setbacks. The US-China trade war earlier this month saw Trump raise tariffs on 200 billion dollars' worth of Chinese imports. Beijing retaliated by hiking duties on 60 billion dollars' worth of US goods.
The Trump administration has accused Huawei of helping Beijing to spy on other countries through the company's growing telecommunications network.
Earlier this year the US Department of Justice accused Huawei of attempting to steal technology from US telecommunications company T-Mobile and violating US sanctions against Iran.
The department has also charged Huawei' chief financial officer with bank fraud and money laundering in connection with the company's business dealings with Iran.
A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said Monday that China supported its companies and will "pick up the weapons of the law and defend its legitimate rights."