Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

New High Tech Ballot System Seems Calculated to Create Confusion in California Primary

In attempt to lure more (Democrat) voters, a full week of California voting begins Saturday 2/22/2020

You don't need a PhD to vote, unless you live in Los Angeles County.

LA County residents began to vote on Saturday 2/22/2020, as part of a new high technology early-voting system.

20 percent of the nearly 1,000 new voting centers were open Saturday. The other 80% of polling stations opened February 26th, four days in advance of "Election Day."

Voters who missed the deadline to register can cast a conditional ballot anytime during early voting up until Election Day. Eligibility will be verified before their votes are counted.

Registered voters will be handed a blank ballot with a bar code. Upon insertion into a voting machine, the ballot will load the relevant national, state, county and city races onto an electronic touch-screen.

Voters with access to a printer may save time at the polls, by accessing an electronic sample ballot at The voter may then print choices onto a printed or mobile "poll pass" ballot.

The Poll Pass is then inserted into a voting machine, giving the voter a final opportunity to make changes to his or her ballot.

Once a voter uses the touch screen to select his or her candidates and vote on various ballot measures, the machine prints out a paper ballot.

List of Santa Monica Voting Locations:

Santa Monica Public Library

601 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica CA 90401

Hours: February 22 - March 2: 8AM - 5PM

March 3: 7AM - 8PM

Additional Info: Multi-Purpose Room

Santa Monica Place Shopping Center

395 Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica CA 90401

Hours: February 29 - March 2: 8AM - 5PM

March 3: 7AM - 8PM

Additional Info: Community Room

Joslyn Park

633 Kensington Rd, Santa Monica CA 90405

Hours: February 29 - March 2: 8AM - 5PM

March 3: 7AM - 8PM

Additional Info: Rec Building Community Room

To find other locations and operating hours for the vote centers, visit the L.A. County Registrar website or call the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk at 800-815-2666, Option 1.


Reader Comments(1)

TML writes:

I've been voting since 1980 and the old system was working just fine. Why the change at this particular time when the current administration seems indifferent to foreign interference in our elections?