Catalina Island Reopens to Daily Departures - Catalina Express Expands
Best of Winter Boat-Hotel Deals, Hiking and Camping, Outdoor Dining, Shops, Land and Water Activities, Reopen Just in Time for Spring Break
February 13, 2021
As LA County reopens to leisure travel, staying close to home and enjoying the great outdoors are key trends according to TripAdvisor. Catalina Island is just 22 miles off the coast of Southern California and known for providing visitors an experience that has been compared to the Mediterranean.
Effective as of January 29, 2021, the updated Los Angeles County Public Health orders allow the additional businesses to reopen with updated protocols. Social distancing and face covering guidelines remain in place at all establishments on the island. Following is a brief on the status of the island's businesses, including transportation, dining, lodging experiences and camping:
§ Transportation: Catalina Express is operating daily passenger ferry service from Long Beach to Avalon; weekend service from Dana Point to Avalon starting on February 12; and weekend service from San Pedro to both Two Harbors and Avalon starting on February 12. Due to the vessels operating at reduced capacity for distancing, visitors are encouraged to make reservations early to ensure a seat. Face masks are required by passengers and employees at all times while in the terminal, waiting to board and while on the vessels. Learn more about Catalina Express' distancing procedures and robust cleaning protocols here.
§ Dining on the Beach/Restaurants: Outdoor dining guidelines have made it possible for many restaurants to reopen and, just as this past summer, several are setting up tables to serve guests directly on the beach! A list of all open restaurants can be found online here.
· Lodging/Vacation Experiences: "Best of Winter" offering through March 5, 2021. With activities galore to experience, there's no reason not to stay a night or two in Avalon. Following is a sampling of winter offerings; a full listing can be found here. Each package includes round-trip boat transportation on Catalina Express. Even better, several Avalon hotels offer complimentary continental breakfast and/or wine and cheese hour.
Inspired by the sea, Aurora immerses guests in relaxation and the comfort of modern style. Avalon's coolest inn combines Catalina bed and breakfast hospitality with a metropolitan boutique hotel ambiance.
The Best of Winter Package includes:
· Two-night overnight accommodations
· Round-trip transportation on Catalina Express
· Tray service breakfast
· Pricing starting at $399 plus tax (double occupancy), representing up to 35 percent in savings
Offer is valid mid-week through March 5, 2021, based on availability. Cannot be combined with any other special offer. To take advantage of this special rate, you must travel to the island between Sunday and Thursday and return to the mainland between Monday and Friday.
Hermosa Hotel provides visitors with the best value on the island, catering to groups of all sizes with adjoining rooms, kitchenette units, and ample storage for gear and sand toys – and, it's dog friendly. The hotel is an ideal spot for guests who are scuba divers who enjoy free diver lockers.
The Best of Winter Package includes:
One- or two-night overnight midweek accommodations
Two Wrigley Memorial and Botanic Garden tickets
Round-trip on Catalina Express
Pricing starting at $190 plus tax per night (double occupancy), representing up to 20 percent savings
Offer is valid Sun-Thurs. through March 5, 2021 and does not include holidays or certain special events.
Centrally located in the heart of Avalon, and just steps from the beach, Hotel Metropole is the perfect spot for romantic, family and singles getaways. The hotel offers free WiFi and complimentary continental breakfast.
Best of Winter Package includes:
· One night in a Deluxe Room
· Two round-trip tickets on Catalina Express
· Champagne upon arrival
· Starting at $269 plus tax, based on availability and double occupancy
Valid Sun - Thurs only through March 5, 2021. This deal represents a 35 percent savings.
Snug Harbor Inn
Snug Harbor Inn is a quaint, six-room, luxury hotel located in Avalon. The hotel's stylish and welcoming Cape Cod theme not only soothes the most harried of souls but also evokes the essence and romance of life by the sea.
The Best of Winter package includes:
· Luxury one-night accommodations
· Round-trip boat transportation on Catalina Express
· Complimentary bottle of champagne upon arrival
· Continental breakfast served to your room
· Evening wine and hors d'oeuvres
Offer is valid Sun -Thurs through March 5, 2021. Rates start at $140.25 per person, plus tax, representing a 25 percent savings.
Year-Round Lodging Packages: Beyond Best of Winter, many of the island's hotels offer boat and lodging packages.
Renowned for its wide-open spaces, natural scenery, pristine beaches and unique terrain, Catalina Island is an outdoor enthusiast's dream destination. Campgrounds will reopen February 12, 2021. Here are a few ways to enjoy the incredible outdoors of Catalina Island:
● Hermit Gulch in Avalon: Perfect for families and first-time campers, Hermit Gulch Campground is ideally situated in Avalon Canyon with amazing views of the surrounding hills with traditional tent sites or tent cabins. Hermit Gulch Trail and other hiking paths are easily accessible, as is the town of Avalon with a grocery store and restaurants.
● Two Harbors: The rustic campground at Two Harbors offers traditional tent sites and tent cabins for a camping experience on the west end of the island. Just a short distance from Two Harbors Village and pristine beaches, this convenient campground has easy access to scenic trails, as well as kayak, paddle board and bike rentals.
● Primitive/Remote Camping: To truly leave the world behind, Catalina Island offers secluded campsites at Parsons Landing, Little Harbor and Black Jack, accessible predominantly by moderate or difficult hikes.
There are also nine boat-in campsites with stunning views and unspoiled beaches. More information about camping on Catalina Island can be found here.
An online compilation of updates from businesses and services on the island, including hours of operation and closures, is being updated in real time on the "What's Open" page on LoveCatalina.com. To accommodate smaller group sizes and social distancing, visitors are encouraged to make reservations in advance and verify activities or status directly with the business prior to booking.
About Catalina Island and Catalina Express
Located 22 miles off the coast of Southern California, Catalina Island is accessible by boat from three ports via Catalina Express: San Pedro, Long Beach and Dana Point. Catalina Express offers up to 30 daily departures and year-round service to Avalon and Two Harbors, transporting over one million passengers annually. It offers comfortable airline-style seats and grouped table seating. Traveling to Catalina Island in as little as one hour, each vessel was designed and built/purchased specifically for comfort and speed. Catalina Express is an unparalleled resource in Southern California, and one of the world's most respected ferry fleets. For information and reservations, call 800.429.4601, or visit Catalina Express.
Catalina Island's clear blue waters and Mediterranean climate and ambiance are a Shangri-La. This laid-back island town is chock full of places to eat, drink and shop. Catalina has a wealth of natural and cultural resources, unique animals and plants found nowhere else on earth. Sightseeing opportunities are numerous and varied from escorted tours around town, adventure rides into the interior, Jeep eco tours, hummer rides, to zip lines, rock climbing and undersea adventures. Independent activities are plentiful, camping, hiking, snuba, diving, snorkeling, kayaking, spa treatments, beach lounging, golf, motor boating, parasailing, fishing, boat rides down the coastline and more.