Homeless Man Jailed After Being Charged With Setting No Less Than 7 dumpster fires in five days in Santa Monica
DA's Office filed seven counts of Arson against John Dean Thomason, a 51-year-old homeless male.
October 6, 2022
A homeless man has been arrested for setting no less than 7 dumpster fires in five days in Santa Monica. He is now in the Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail after being charged with seven separate incidents of arson. One fire was behind the Silvercrest aged living facility.
The press release reads as follows
On September 26, 2022, the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office filed seven counts of Arson against John Dean Thomason, a 51-year-old homeless male.
Santa Monica Police Department (SMPD) Detectives were assigned to investigate several recent arson incidents. Detectives reviewed the reports, evidence, and several hours of video surveillance footage and were able to link Thomason to at least seven separate incidents. On September 25, 2022, while working patrol, the detective assigned to investigate these arsons, located Thomason in the 1200 block of Euclid and arrested him on the following cases:
• 08/27/22 at 5:30 PM - Fire set behind 1227 4th Street (St. Augustine Church)
• 08/27/22 at 5:33 PM - Fire set behind 1245 4th Street (St. Peter Coptic Church)
• 08/27/22 at 5:39 PM - Fire set behind 1338 5th Street (Dog PPL)
• 09/01/22 at 12:32 PM - Fire set behind 1630 12th Street (Radical Media)
• 09/01/22 at 12:33 PM - Fire set behind 1652 12th Street (Caliber Collision)
• 09/02/22 at 10:47 AM - Fire set behind 1547 6th Street
• 09/02/22 at 10:55 AM - Fire set behind 1530 5th Street (Silvercrest Senior Citizen Apt)
The case was submitted to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Bureau of Specialized Prosecution Arson and Explosives Target Crimes Division. The DA's office filled all 7 counts against Thomason.
Anyone with any additional information pertaining to this suspect is strongly encouraged to contact Detective Hector Tavera at 310-458-8946 or the Watch Commander (24 hours) at 310-458-8426. -- Lt. Rudy Flores, Public Information Officer