Santa Monica Observer - Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

Homeless Man Sentenced to 22 years for Shooting at Venice Bar

Nine shots fired after argument at bar and restaurant in March 2018

 

February 6, 2020

File photo of a lifeguard on Venice Beach.

A 48-year-old man was sentenced to 22 years in state prison for shooting a bar patron during an argument at a Venice bar, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said.

Robert Leo Mewhorter, a transient, pleaded no contest on Jan. 10 to one count of attempted murder and admitted allegations of using a handgun and causing great bodily injury.

On March 7, 2018, Mewhorter got into an argument at a Venice bar, prosecutors said. The defendant left and returned soon after and opened fire, injuring the victim, the prosecutor said.

He was arrested near the restaurant on March 8 last year, the LAPD told media. Mewhorter told officers at the time that he was offended by something the victim said.

"Those few words spilled over to a physical altercation between the victim and suspect," Lt. Randy Goddard said.

"That's the sad thing about it," Goddard added. "Over simple words, this turns into a shooting where somebody could have lost their life."

Nine gunshots and the sounds of bystanders screaming can be heard in cellphone footage obtained by KTLA. The clip also shows a man brandishing a firearm.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 02/25/2020 06:44