Santa Monica Observer - Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

Author photo

By David Ganezer
Observer Staff Writer 

Santa Monica Pier Closes Again Due to Covid-19 World Pandemic

As LA County Covid Numbers Rise, Authorities desperately seek ways to limit the damage.


January 13, 2021

The Santa Monica Pier has now been closed for the third time during the international Covid-19 pandemic.

For the remainder of January, the Santa Monica Pier will be closed on the following dates: January 16-18, January 23-24 and on January 30-31, 2021.

A major draw for tourists, the Pier was closed from May 15, 2020 to the end of September, and also during the last 3 days of 2020, and first three days of 2021.

Mary Leipziger

The Pier empty in May, 2021.

Los Angeles County, which has over ten million residents and is the biggest county by population in the entire United States, has had 12,500 Covid-19 deaths.

950,000 local residents have tested positive for Covid. About 80% of this number are believed to have recovered. As numbers have risen in California, local authorities have desperately sought ways to limit the number of people exposed to the virus. About 50-80% of people are asymptomatic, but the remaining 20% experience somewhat serious illness similar to a bad flu. Of that number, about 2% or 3% die. The median age of those deceased of Covid-19 is 78. Many of the most seriously ill patients have underlying conditions, such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease and obesity.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2022