Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

Hometown Hero Tyler Skagg's Had a Dark Side, Autopsy Report Reveals

Angels Pitcher died Alone in a Hotel Room, with Alcohol, Fentanyl and Oxycodone all Present

Update: On August 30, 2019, the Tarrant County Toxicologist said that Tyler Skaggs had alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone all present in his system at his death. He choked on his own vomit. This is surprising because Skaggs had a clean living image. We were forced to cleanse this story of any mention of drugs or alcohol, even though we initially reported it on July 2, 2019, just 2 days after his death.

On July 1, 2019, Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs was found unresponsive in his hotel room in Southlake, Texas. The LA Angels were visiting to play the Texas Rangers. The cause of death has yet to be determined, authorities said, adding that "no foul play is suspected.” They also ruled out suicide.

Skaggs was "an important part of the Angels Family," the team said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Carli, and his entire family during this devastating time."

The Angels selected Skaggs in the first round of the 2009 MLB draft, right out of santa monica high school. After they traded him to the Diamondbacks, Skaggs debuted in MLB in 2012. The Diamondbacks traded Skaggs back to the Angels during the 2013–14 off-season, and he pitched for the team until 2019. Skaggs posted a career earned run average of 4.41 and recorded 476 strikeouts, with a record of 28 wins and 38 losses.

Skaggs, who would have turned 28 on July 13, had been a regular in the Angels' starting rotation since late 2016, when he returned from Tommy John surgery. He struggled with several injuries over the last three years, but became a valuable starter in Los Angeles' injury-plagued rotation.

The left-hander had just pitched on Saturday, allowing two runs in 4 1/3 innings in a 4-0 loss to Oakland.

Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said he was "deeply saddened" by Skaggs' death."We will support the Angels' organization through this most difficult period, and we will make a variety of resources available to Tyler's teammates and other members of the baseball family," Manfred said in a statement.

SMMUSD Superintendent Ben Drati released the following statement: We are devastated to hear the news that santa monica high school graduate, Tyler Skaggs, has passed away, as reported by the Los Angeles Angels, where he was an active pitcher in Major League Baseball.

Tyler attended Roosevelt Elementary School, Lincoln Middle School and was a 2009 graduate of Samohi, all within the Santa Monica-Malibu USD.

Tyler continued to make visits to our schools the past several years to speak with students and we proudly watched his ascent in professional baseball, along with his family. Tyler's mother, Debbie, was a previous girls softball coach at Samohi and is currently a physical education teacher.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and fans during this difficult time.

Update, 7/3/19: Tarrant Co. Medical Examiner says it will withhold autopsy information regarding Tyler Skaggs, per the family's request, pending completion of a final examination. It estimates a completion date of October 2, 2019.

See also:


Reader Comments(3)

William writes:

Police could have stated whether room was clean of drugs, syringes, etc, but not doing so leads to rampant speculation. If drugs are the cause of death, it will, of course, be publicly described as accidental drug overdose, and not suicide to protect his image.

enochrodofiron1 writes:

Taking legal prescriptions can cause death as fast as taking street drugs a simple interaction between two different drugs could cause death not saying so makes it look bad.

fdfdfdfdfd11 writes:

Whats your source?