Community, Diversity, Sustainability and other Overused Words

"No Justice, No Peace!" Chant Protestors as they walk from SMPD HQ to Venice in Los Angeles

Local marches followed rioting and looting in Minneapolis last night, across from the precinct police station where Derek Chauvin worked.

Protesting the death of Minnesota security guard George Floyd at the hands of white police officers in Minneapolis, Minnesota, about 100 protestors walked down Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica from the Santa Monica Police headquarters, to Windward and Pacific.

The protestors chanted "I can't Breathe," and ironically were escorted by police officers. The SMPD Equine Patrol provided 2 officers on horseback; about a dozen were in SMPD vehicles as well. Both sides kept their distance from each other (not all the protestors were wearing masks, after all). The march was peaceful, and started about 3 pm on a Thursday afternoon.

The local march followed rioting in Minneapolis last night, across the street from the precinct police station where Officer Chauvin and the other involved officers worked. Several stores including grocery stores and an Auto Zone Store were looted and burned.

Shortly after 8:00 p.m. on May 25, Memorial Day, Minneapolis Police Department officers responded to a "forgery in progress" on Chicago Avenue South in the Powderhorn neighborhood of Minneapolis. According to WCCO, the implication was that Floyd "tried to use forged documents at a nearby deli." According to a co-owner of Cup Foods, Floyd attempted to use a $20 bill that a staff member identified as counterfeit.

According to police, Floyd was in a nearby car and "appeared to be under the influence." A spokesman for the police department said the officers ordered him to exit the vehicle, at which point he "physically resisted."

According to the Minneapolis police, officers "were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance." No weapons were used in the arrest, according to a statement from the Minneapolis police.

According to the Minneapolis Fire Department, paramedics moved Floyd from the location and were doing chest compressions and other lifesaving measures on an "unresponsive, pulseless male." Floyd was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Part of the arrest was filmed by a bystander and streamed to Facebook Live. This video went viral.

When the video starts, Floyd is already pinned face-down to the ground, and Officer Chauvin is kneeling on his neck. Floyd repeatedly tells Chauvin: "Please," and "I can't breathe," while also moaning, groaning and sobbing. A bystander tells the police: "You got him down. Let him breathe."

After Floyd says, "I'm about to die," Chauvin tells Floyd to relax. The police ask Floyd: "What do you want?" Floyd repeats: "I can't breathe."

Floyd continues: "Please, the knee in my neck, I can't breathe." The policemen taunt Floyd to "get up and get in the car,"[31] to which Floyd replies: "I will ... I can't move."[32] Floyd also cries out: "Mama!" Floyd protests: "My stomach hurts, my neck hurts, everything hurts," and requests water.[29] The police do not audibly respond to Floyd.[29] Floyd begs: "Don't kill me."


Reader Comments(0)